THESE PUZZLES HAVE EVERYTHING TO DO WITH 3301 SO FAR
MYSTERIOUS FILE POSTED ON WIKIA
someone posted this:
you can download file here: https://infotomb.com/j0717
filefeader looks much like jpg but it is not, someone shoulud try to open it with hose "detect file format" software
DISREGARD IT IS 330s twitter feed dumb https://twitter.com/1231507051321
OwariDa puzzle from tweet
Owarida is Joel Eriksson mentione in The Telegraph article. He is also author of well known clevcode.org article from 2012.
This is his story about how he became involved in Chris Bells article.
OwariDa well, i see no reason to keep it a secret. chris bell from the daily telegraph contacted me, since he was working on a story about cicada 3301. and wanted to ask some questions to someone who had participated. OwariDa there's not much more to it than that. counterh_ Did you ask how he was working on it? OwariDa not really, but i actually think he just stumbled upon some of the old articles about it and thought it would make a good story.
PuzzleOwariDa recieved cryptic tweet:
Jake Winters ?@Tibiceninae
@OwariDa "Can you follow? 19-05-01-18-03-08 18-05-04-04-09-20" This was posted on an anonymous discussion board. pic.twitter.com/IWerDCP6YD
It probably has nothing to do with cicada, but it is a rabbithole worth solving.
So far we didnt came far.
19-05-01-18-03-08 18-05-04-04-09-20 is just SEARCH REDDIT (numbers to alphabet, http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/numbers.php )
contains some artefacts, background is not 255 white everywhere: http://imgur.com/a/GLwaA
You can find OwariDas progress here:https://t.co/VkOwt9pRLK and on his twitter https://twitter.com/OwariDa/status/406344103429816320
Artefacts might be casued by some steganography software. Note that Outguess is making similar aptterns on 3301s balck backgfound jps. But without hint which stego software was used this is seeking for needle in haysack.
Corrupted jpg from comment under Winds article in Wikia
In Wind article on this Wikia months ago someone posted imgur link to corrupted jpg file.
This picture was posted anonymously, but the IP was saved: 220.127.116.11.
Same IP was used a few times to log in our webchat by a user called Wind:
Recently someone noticed that downloading file and checking it in hexeidtor or notepad like program reveals interesting ASCII in header of jpg: http://prntscr.com/27k7zs
ForestFire Version:33011033 2014:09:21 15:38:15
Deeper down in exif you can see that image was saved in Photoshop CS6
My guess is that someone alternated only header of jpg. Probably replacing Phtoshop CS6 version:# date with ForestFire 33011033 thing. But if only ane character is not same as in original file cant be opened.
Beignning and ending of file looks OK:
- bytes 0xFF, 0xD8 indicate start of image
- bytes 0xFF, 0xD9 indicate end of image
So far nobody was able to repair the header to make file readable again. Trying software that repairs jpgs would be good thing to do. Be carefull most of them are pay only or strange trail versions that doesnt allow you to open any jpg. Torrent might be solution for this problem.
Second path to go would be to save jpg in Photoshop CS6 with similar settings and observe the header that Photohops CS6 makes, then try to reconstruct it on our image.
I managed to open it in Gimp as a G3 Fax image and it yieleded this result
I also imported the raw data into audacity to see what it sounded like
Some interesting stuff happens if you slow it down
Don't think it means anything but who knows
|[21:17]||PersonalKilljoy||well, i will try to carve it|
|[21:17]||PersonalKilljoy||i have photorec|
We figured out that EXIF is still where it should be and working.
On the 28th of December we managed to find out what the demage was - all NULL bytes in the file were replaced with a 0x20 (space in ASCII) byte rendering everything useless. After hours of reading the specs and setting NULL bytes back where necessary the DQT and DCT tables were more or less restored, reset markers were set and out emerged an image with artifacts: http://i.imgur.com/1OBcBAp.jpg which was quickly identified as
serpent biting it's tail or an Ouroboros
Chrysopoea of Cleopatra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chrysopoea_of_Cleopatra_1.gif rotated and resized. The eye, the spikes and the dots, some of the lines that are visible definitely line up: http://prntscr.com/2el51l
In the middle it says: "One is the all", but it appears to be removed from posted jpg.
Unfortunately a better-quality image is not recoverable at this time, since it's pretty difficult to find where 0x20 was part of the original or not.
For philosophical meaning of it check Wikipedia articles:
- One is the all
- The Ouroboros or Uroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.
- The Ouroboros often symbolize self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end.
- The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.
- The Chrysopoeia Ouroboros of Cleopatra the Alchemist is one of the oldest images of the Ouroboros to be linked with the legendary opus of the Alchemists, the Philosopher’s Stone.
- Carl Jung: The Ouroboros is a dramatic symbol for the integration and assimilation of the opposite, i.e. of the shadow. This 'feed-back' process is at the same time a symbol of immortality, since it is said of the Ouroboros that he slays himself and brings himself to life, fertilizes himself and gives birth to himself. He symbolizes the One, who proceeds from the clash of opposites, and he therefore constitutes the secret of the prima materia which [...] unquestionably stems from man's unconscious.